HHSR's Adoption Process
The following steps will give you an idea of how our adoption process progresses. It is our intent to vet every potential adopter in a concise and thorough manner such that we insure that the dog is going to the best home available.
The Adoption Application:
On the adoption page you will see an online application button. Click on that and fill in the information required and answer as many questions as you can. The more complete the application the better your chances are of being approved.
The Meet and Greet:
Once the application has been reviewed and accepted as a potential adopter HHSR will contact you to set up a time for you to come and do a meet and greet with the prospective dog.
Occasionally due to distance we may set up a meeting place other than the HHSR facility. During bad weather our meet and greets will take place in our visitor center located at the facility.
- The Home Visit:
- Once the Meet and Greet has been completed and you have decided on a potential adoptee HHSR will set up a convenient time to visit your home.
- At this meeting the dog is usually brought with to get a look at their new home. This is an important step in the process. HHSR is looking for suitable arrangements for the dog such as a large fenced in yard or available dog park that they can run around in.
- The Adoption Contract:
- After the Home visit is complete and the adopter and adoptee seem to like the arrangement the adoption contract is signed and the adoption fee is paid the adoption process is complete.
- Variations and exclusions to the adoption process:
- If the Adopter is known or has adopted a rescue dog in the past a home visit may not be required. The Adoption Contract may be completed at the Meet and Greet and the dog taken home after its completion.
- Renters typically are not approved but there are a few exceptions:
- If the rental property is a residential home
- If the home is a unit in a complex there must be adequate amenities for the dog such as a dog park or available open space for the dog to run in.
- All applicants who rent an apartment must provide the policy of the apartment complex to assure that they are allowed to have the dog.
- Requirements for being approved:
- You must be 18 or older to be approved.
- You must have a verifiable income source.
- You must allow the dog into your home and be treated as part of the family. Your application as an adopter will NOT be approved if you intend to keep the dog outside.
- Any intentional misleading information will disqualify your application.